Sunday, February 10, 2008

Flu like symptoms & Jim Walsh

How come you never hear a professional athlete say he has a cold? It's always, "So and so is suffering from flu like symptoms." Every single time. Anyway, I have been suffering from flu like symptoms for a few days. I sequestered myself from my family the past 72 hours to help ensure they could enjoy their vacation in Naples, Florida free from the aforementioned flu like symptoms.

Anyway, they left yesterday (though they actually landed in Naples today), so I am free to roam the house. I slept in and skipped the treadmill (my doctor told me my body needs total rest), getting up at 8:15. Given the fact my day normally starts at 4:45, sleeping in past 8 was a weird feeling. I talked to my family, who were waiting to board the plane, showered, stopped for coffee and did some grocery shopping. I came home and spent 15 minutes getting rid of the snowy driveway and then made breakfast. (See: Mancation Day 1 Breakfast.)

At 11 AM, I set up shop on the couch. Blackberry, brand new black leather Mancation Journal, clicker and a diet Mountain Dew. Four the next four hours I cleared out some space on the DVR, watching four episodes of Beverly Hills 90210. They were classic ones -- the first season of the summer episodes.

1st one: Brenda, having endured a pregnancy scare, decides to break up with Dylan while listening to "Losing My Religion" by R.E.M. A classic scene now neatly spliced and archived on my DVR.

2nd one: Not only does Dylan have to go on without Brenda, but now his father has been arrested on money fraud charges. As the Walsh family watches the news on TV, Jim Walsh (the single greatest TV father ever) mumbles under his breath to wife Joan Cleaver Cindy, "Smartest thing she ever did was break up with that guy."

3rd one: In this one, Jim lectures Brandon on the value of hard work and the temptation of easy money. "There's no free lunch. You get what you pay for in this world."

4th one: Dylan, still coping with no Brenda and no dad, decides to go surfing in rough waves. Boy scout Brandon attempts to intercede, leading to this classic exchange:

Brandon: "You gonna be dangling later? You alright?"

Dylan (with scarred eyebrow, hoop earring and cool dude stare): "You kiddin'? Surf's up."

(Is it any wonder why I still love this show?!?)

Later, after the Walshes let the injured Dylan stay at their house, Jim catches Dylan and Brenda making out on the couch (apparently the break up is over). After giving Dylan the boot, Jim says to Brenda, "There's a right way and a wrong way to do things."

Amen to that, my brutha.

No comments: