Monday, May 10, 2010

A telling comment?!?

Jayson Werth is the Phillies' best player right now. He's hitting .349 with 7 homers and 26 RBIs. As everyone around Philly knows, Werth is in the last year of his contract. Over the winter most felt it was a foregone conclusion that the Phillies would not be able to afford keeping him. Last month, however, both sides said all the right things and the pendulum switched as peeps felt that somehow the two sides would bang out an agreement. Yesterday Werth made a seemingly innocent remark. Yet, in our minds it spoke volumes. After helping the Phillies beat the Braves, he was asked yet again about free agency. "This is a business. I've played my whole career for this season right here. I plan to see it through."

Translation?!? There is no way I am skipping my free agency tour next winter. I will go where the money takes me.

Who can blame him?!? He has a World Series ring. And he saw the Cardinals give Matt Holiday $120 million last winter.

And most likely Werth will be playing right field for a different team next year.


No comments: