Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Coach Pete and (still) More D-McNabb Stuff

We represent the Oklahoma Sooners. As My Friend Rich always said in high school, "No big secret. No big surprise." However, I love USC coach Pete Carroll. He says sophomoric things like, "I'm jacked and pumped...and feeling a bit dangerous." He's like an overgrown kid. He failed as head coach in the NFL with both the Jets and the Patriots, because players walked all over him. He clearly belonged on a college sideline. Why this didn't occur to people is beyond me. For cripes sake, he was, like, Southern Cal's seventh choice as head coach. Now, he's on top of the college football world with a program that is the envy of everyone not connected to the Florida Gators. The Boston Globe's Dan Shaughnessy wrote a great piece on Coach Pete several weeks ago. (The reason why I am just now linking it is fodder for another day.)


The Donovan McNabb story refuses to go away. In fact, it's even bigger now that #5 played well in leading the Eagles to their first victory of the season last Sunday against the Lions. ESPN.com columnist Jeff Chadiha, you remember him probably only because I take such delight in making fun of him, wrote about McNabb a few days ago. The gist of his story? Well, I am not really sure. Chadiha somehow has mastered the art of being a columnist who writes about, well, nothing. 500 words of pure nothing. Looking to get to sleep faster tonight? Click here and read his column of nothing. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ


On the opposite end of the columnist spectrum is Sal Paolantonio. Sal Pal is My Guy. Whatever he writes (or says), I take as gospel. His Sunday morning column about the importance of the Eagles-Lions game for McNabb was great reading. A Philly Guy, Sal Pal has the inside dope on all things Eagles. Once you have woken up from your Chadiha-induced slumber, give Sal Pal's column a read.

Lastly, D-Mac himself has blogged about the whole situation.


Changing over to the Phillies (now tied for the Wild Card lead), the Philadelphia Daily News has a story in today's paper that quotes Old Man G.M. "Stand" Pat Gillick as saying next season will be his last. Excuse me for a moment while I jump up and down, pump my fist (a la Coach Pete) and give thanks. Gosh, I guess wasting money on top notch free agents like Adam Eaton and Wes Helms, and making blockbuster trades for all-stars like Kyle Lohse is just too much for the 70-year old. As for those who are worried that Stand Pat will hang 'em up this winter? Fret not. He told the DN, "I'll fulfill my contract [which ends after next season]."

Great. I can hardly wait until the winter meetings to see how Stand Pat wastes money this time around. He'll probably re-sign Freddy Garcia.

No comments: