Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Monday Night's Pork Roast

I oven-roasted a 6-pound pork roast last night for dinner. I did a mini (2 1/2 hours) brine of Kosher salt, pepper, Adobo and Italian spices. After patting dry the roast, I tried a new technique. Before adding pepper and Adobo, I painted the roast with yellow mustard. It added a tangy taste, but also gave the spices something to adhere to. Conscious of the high sodium issue, I did not add more salt on top of the mustard. Instead, I substituted garlic powder, which seemed to work fine. The pork went into the oven at 350 degrees for about 75 minutes. I then cranked it up to 425 for another 30 minutes. That brought the internal temperature to 155 degrees. After pulling the roast out and letting it rest for 15 minutes, the temp was about 160 -- which cookbooks will say is a bit low for pork, but no one wants to eat dry pork. The center cut had the slightest touch of pink, which was fine. The first picture shows the pork all set to enter the oven. The second one shows it coming out of the oven. And the net result is the bottom photo.




No comments: